Not only do we have to put up with freezing temperatures and extreme weather but we also have to deal with the effect winter has on our skin. What most of us don’t realise is that wind chapped, dry and flaky skin is not a good look for anybody and that it is winter that is causing it. Heres how you can not fall victim this winter:
Take Shorter Showers
Long, hot steamy showers can feel like heaven after a long day in freezing cold weather or first thing in the morning because the central heating has kicked in, but it can leave you with irritated skin. Strangely enough, long showers can in fact leave your skin feeling dehydrated by stripping your face of it’s natural oils. Natural oil’s which are produced to help form a barrier to the harsh weather conditions. Shorter showers in warm water, not scolding hot, can ensure you’re not setting yourself up for a fall.
Whilst on the topic of showers, we recommend Clarins Men 125ml Active Face Wash to help prevent breakouts and keep you’re skin looking fresh, thank us later guys!
You should be moisturising your skin daily, all year round but its even more crucial to make sure you’re moisturising in the winter, equipping your skin to help battle the cold and harsh weather conditions. Just like hot steamy showers, wind can strip your skin’s essential oils. Any form of moisturiser is better than none at all, do your reasearch and find a moisturiser to suit your skins needs. We recommend moisturisers like Clarins Men Super Moisture, Fit Skincare or Wingman.
Make sure you are drinking plenty of water too, start moisturising from the inside to see the effect on the outside!
Shaving can be a really irritating on your skin if you’re not doing it properly. So make sure you’re shaving safely and correctly to limit the damage to your skin.
- Always use shaving creams to ensure your skin is hydrated and protected.
- Never shave with a dull blade, make sure you’re changing it often.
- Always shave in the direction that the hair grows.
Lips can dry out easily as they don’t produce their own natural oils like your skin does. Follow these great tips to prevent wind chapped lips, something a lot of us suffer with.
- Don’t lick – The cycle of wetting and drying that occurs when you lick your lips quickly causes them to crack, dry out and become red raw.
- Cover up – On cold or windy days protect your lips with a scarf, snood or the collar of your jacket.
- Lip balm – Keep your lips protected by using lip balms such as Vaseline or ChapStick. Some lip balms have built in SPF which can be a great added benefit, as skin can result in even more damage to your lips.
Home Remedies For Chapped Skin
- Coconut Oil: Apply a few drops of warm coconut oil to your face before you go to bed, coconut oil is a excellent, natural remedy to help cure chapped skin.
- Yogurt: Massaging ice cold yogurt into your face prevents dryness, redness and burning sensation on skin.
- Coconut Water: Rinsing your face with coconut water everyday will gradually cure chapped skin and prevent scaring and further damage – great for people with naturally oily skin.
- Aloe Vera: The gel of the aloe vera can be great for maintaining skin’s natural balance and prevent dryness and dehydration.