Waking up to find your pillow covered in a matt of your own hair, pulling clumps of freshly washed locks out in the shower – these are not situations anyone likes to find themselves in. Hair loss can be a serious and distressing problem for many people. It can be caused by various factors such as chronic stress, certain medications, genetics and more.
Practicing good nutrition is an important key in preventing hair loss, maintaining hair health and promoting growth. Below is a list of 12 superfoods which have been shown to assist with hair loss prevention and boosting hair health.
- Spinach: This dark green veggie is packed with iron as well as Vitamins A and C. Iron deficiency is a major cause of hair loss and damage. Spinach also provides potassium, magnesium and calcium -all which help with scalp health – so eat up just like Popeye!
- Salmon: Salmon is packed with omega 3 fatty acids which promote hair growth and is rich in Vitamin B12 which assists with keeping hair smooth and silky.
- Yellow Peppers: These are very high in the all-important Vitamin C which assists with your general health but also contributes to the production of collagen which is essential for keeping hair follicles healthy.
- Carrots: Carrots provide an ample source of Vitamin A, helping your hair to look shiny and smooth. Vitamin A assists with the production of sebum which also helps keep the scalp from getting dry and dirty.
- Nuts: For those who can eat them – go nuts! Almonds, walnuts, cashew, pecans and pistachios are well known for their health benefits for your whole body. Your hair is included.
- Eggs: Adding eggs to your diet is a fantastic way to help prevent hair loss, as hair is made of up of proteins which eggs are full of. Eating and applying eggs directly to the hair can be a great way to repair damaged hair cells and boost hair health.
- Sweet Potato: Sweet potato is a great source of Vitamin A, protein, iron and copper. It also promotes the growth of healthy hair tissues – which is essential when working to prevent hair loss.
- Strawberries: As well as being a rich source of Vitamin C strawberries also help the body absorb iron. Iron is an essential mineral for hair growth.
- Pineapple: A refreshing summer fruit which helps to hydrate the skin – keeping your scalp healthy.
- Beans and legumes: Consuming beans and legumes provides you with Vitamin E which acts as an antioxidant and can help with scalp circulation.
- Apples: Apples are full of fibres that promote strong hair. There are antioxidants in apples too and these help fight free radicals which can damage hair cells. An apple a day can keep the hair fall at bay.
- Lentils: Lentils contain folic acid which helps restore the health of red blood cells-which carry much needed oxygen to the skin and scalp.
By adding some of these super foods to your diet -you are on your way to healthier, stronger and hopefully more hair!
Hair Loss Prevention Resource:
Bioscor International (Oakleigh)
182 Huntingdale Rd, Oakleigh East VIC 3166, Australia
+61 3 9544 7429